segunda-feira, 20 de setembro de 2010

Double meaning verbs (causative verbs)

Let / Make / Have / Get


Let
FORM [let + person + verb]
USE
This construction means "to allow someone to do something."
Examples:
• John let me drive his new car.
• Will your parents let you go to the party?
• I don't know if my boss will let me take the day off.


Make
FORM [make + person + verb]
USE
This construction means "to force someone to do something."
Examples:
• My teacher made me apologize for what I had said.
• Did somebody make you wear that ugly hat?
• She made her children do their homework.


Have
FORM [have + person + verb]
USE
This construction means "to give someone the responsibility to do something."
Examples:
• Dr. Smith had his nurse take the patient's temperature.
• Please have your secretary fax me the information.
• I had the mechanic check the brakes.


Get
FORM [get + person + to + verb]
USE
This construction usually means "to convince to do something" or "to trick someone into doing something."
Examples:
• Susie got her son to take the medicine even though it tasted terrible.
• How can parents get their children to read more?
• The government TV commercials are trying to get people to stop smoking.


• Get vs. Have
Sometimes "get someone to do something" is interchangeable with "have someone do something," but these expressions do not mean exactly the same thing.

Examples:
• I got the mechanic to check my brakes.
AT FIRST THE MECHANIC DIDN'T THINK IT WAS NECESSARY, BUT I CONVINCED HIM TO CHECK THE BRAKES.
• I had the mechanic check my brakes.
I ASKED THE MECHANIC TO CHECK THE BRAKES.

I hope i've helped...   by Fabio.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário